November 17, 2008

Teenagers suck

I was listening in on a conversation at the office today. The general consensus, teenagers suck. Not only do they give you lip when you ask them to do something, they don't listen, you have to tell them 100 times to do something, they think they're smarter than you, and now days, they are into hardcore drugs and violent crimes. No, not all but many. Yes, I know kids have always done stupid things. Hell, I did. How did my mother survive? First of all, I didnt disrespect her. Second, If I gave her lip, she beat my butt. Where do kids learn that we owe them something? I worked hard raising my two boys. A very close friend of mine is going thru it right now. Her 18 year old son stole her ATM card. The reason he gave her for taking it.....she owed it to him? Excuse me??? If either one of my sons ever said that to me (after they gained consciousness), they would be out on the streets quicker than I could pack a trash bag. How disrespectful can you be? She is a single mother struggling to make ends meet and he pulls this crap!

Another single mother I work with was talking about how her son told her he didn't have to do what she told him. Since when? If you think you know it all, there's the door. Its time for a reality check. My kids have pulled their fair share of crap. Especially my oldest....to the next level. Neither one of them, however, stole anything from me nor did they tell me they didn't have to do something. My youngest will have every excuse in the book as to why he shouldnt do it, but in the end I always win. I think it was the fear of losing their life that kept them from pulling such a stunt. As a single parent, the first thing you need to do is lose the guilt. Don't let your child get away with anything because you feel guilty for divorcing their mother/father. They will use that against you and play it to the end. Be strong. My boys may have been bigger than me but I could take both of them out. And they know it. My advise, discipline your children. That doesnt mean beat them, that means find out what works. Start young because by the time they become teenagers, if they havent learned any lessons, they can make your life miserable. Remember who is in control and dont back down an inch!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


6 comments:

xajfree said...

I agree with you. Having a teenager does suck. And you are right I remember my teenage years and I was nothing like my 15 yr. old son today. My son also thinks I owe him something but I am quick to show him that it's not the case and like you although he is alot bigger than me he knows I can still dropkick his butt if I had to. Thanks for your blogs, they rock. You have given me the comfort of not being alone in this.

Jenny McB said...

One word----entitlement.

I'm sure someone will figure out the why and how of this young generation. My middle one will be 18 soon, thank god he doesn't steal, drink or hang out doing nothing with friends, but what an attitude he has. According to him, his big brother and I are the worst thing to ever happen to him. I told him the other night that he can leave anytime, if life is that bad here. I mean it, I won't support someone who feels that he is entitled to my stuff b/c of relation.
Good post and glad to hear that I am not the only parent struggling with teenagers. Based on the semi-anonymity of my blog, I don't feel that I can write about my struggles and family issues. Thank you for sharing, it helps.

Lori said...

Hey...we're all in this together. It is nice to know that other people are there for you. Kids are tough. Like I said, I know why some parents give up. They make you very tired. It was nice to see my oldest humbled when he got out on his own. I thought I would never see that day. Im glad I can help. You guys rock!

Jenny McB said...

I know why people have taken their kids to Nebraska.....

Lori said...

Me too....

teen said...

It is hard to raise a teenager by yourself .